Exploring Greece With Lewis & Clark

Exploring Greece With Lewis & Clark

Monday, September 10, 2007

Day in Delphi, again

Sorry about that abbreviated post before. Internet time is limited, since I can't steal WiFi in my apartment, and I only use it when I'm at the other girls' apartments. (I'll explain the whole living situation later, after I've covered all the main events! We're so busy, I don't know if that'll ever happen. Still...)

Anyway, we saw Delphi, and concluded it by visiting the Temple of Athena, which is special to me because there's a picture of it on one of the textbooks we used in "Ancient Greek Religion" class with Kugler last semester. So, that made me happy. Overall it was an awesome day. The next day was Saturday, and it was SOOO nice to sleep in for once! I went out for coffee and pastry, and did my laundry by hand in a basin in the kitchen. There are laundry machines for us to use in CYA, but they've ruined people's laundry and the dryers don't work, so I just do it by hand. Saturday evening Clariece, Chris, Helena and I decided to hike up the hill to the north of our apartments, to see the monastery at the top at sunset. It wasn't a very long hike, but the stairs at the beginning were very steep. It was totally worth it, though, when we got to the top. The view was awesome, the sunset was amazing, and there was a wedding going on which we got to see. The church itself is quite small, so most of the guests were mingling on the terrace during the ceremony. The bride and groom came out right disappeared, and everyone threw rice and cheered. (Isn't Athens enormous?? I couldn't believe it!)

In more recent events, I spent most of yesterday (Sunday) studying and preparing my presentation on the reforms of Solon (6th cent. B.C.) which I'm doing with Frances. Today our "Byzantine History" class went to the Byzantine Museum (duh) and when we got to this enormous room with dozens of paintings of Jesus and Mary, he told us, "anyone who finds a fundamental difference between any of these paintings I'll buy them a beer, because I can't find any." We could name some differences, but despite the fact that the creations of the paintings spanned thousands of miles and hundreds of years, they were apparently all the same in most ways. Interesting how homogenous Byzantine iconography was, throughout the empire's history. Well now I have no excuse to stop writing except that I'm tired and want to go home, and that this is a good stopping point. Next time I'll tell you about the living situation we have here. I'll leave you by telling you that tonight I had dinner at a souvlaki (meat-on-a-stick)
place called "ντερλισιους" ("der-licious," we don't know why they put an extra r in there) which was two souvlaki, fries, and a lemonade, and it was 5 and a half euro. It was awesome.




1 comment:

Phil Bratnober said...

Great wedding, great post, great souvlaki pricing, and, though I have nothing to contribute regarding the bonus letter-'r', I stand in awe of your trip and of your taste in sunsets. ~ Phil B.